You are running full force toward an influencer marketing strategy you believe will bring tons of awareness to your brand! All of the legwork is done, and you have your sights set on an influencer – but what do you say to them to get them interested in a partnership? First, you should find their email address. If you cannot locate an email address, you can send them a direct message on the platform they’re active on. It’s not a good idea to post anything publicly to them – because this will come off as impersonal.
Another thing that comes off as impersonal is calling an influencer by a pet name rather than their actual name. Please, always address people by their name if you can find it.
For example: don’t open your message with “Hey girl” or “Hey babe”.
Influencer outreach can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be! In this blog, I’m going to provide a checklist of items that should be present in any outreach message you send, along with email and direct message templates that you can download, copy, and customize – ’cause we don’t gatekeep around here!
- My subject line is attention-grabbing
- My brand is introduced and values communicated
- I’ve stated why we’re specifically interested in working with them
- I’ve noted the compensation package (paid, affiliate, product-for-payment)
- I’ve reread my outreach message twice before sending it (you don’t want to be the brand that addresses your email to the wrong influencer – and yes, it happens more than you think)
Help yourself to one of these templates:
In most cases, you’ll be outreaching to influencers using both email and DM methods. So remember:
- Outreach messages should be short and simple
- Email outreach can contain specific campaign details
- DM outreach should spare the details and be introductory only
- Make your messaging fun and engaging to grab their attention
- Always follow up if you don’t hear back within a couple of days
Following up is incredibly important. We often don’t hear back from prospective partners until we send a follow-up message. As you become more comfortable with your outreach messaging and approach, you’ll feel more comfortable customizing your approach even further depending on the influencer or campaign you’re running.
If you’re interested in having a discussion about influencer marketing, we would love to chat! If you want expert help sourcing influencers, we can help!