Recently I celebrated my 13th year at Pathfinders and boy has this time been an incredible ride. I am more than grateful for all of the friendships I have formed over the years. It truly does feel like yesterday!
My career in advertising spans 30 years — which is crazy — and Pathfinders is the 5th agency I have worked for in that time. And after 30 years, I still absolutely love what I do.
I took time to reflect on my anniversary and here are a few things I know and have picked up along the way.
At the Office
- Have a passion for what you do
- Smile often — it is contagious and can effect an entire office
- Be respectful and work for people you respect
- Don’t be risk-averse
- Great work will give you goosebumps
- You won’t mesh with all client personalities — and that is OK
- Perspective…in the big scheme of things what we do is more fun than important — as I like to say, we aren’t curing cancer or saving babies, we make brochures and websites — so cut yourself a break, relax, and have fun
- Read and save the glowing comments (calls and emails) you get from co-workers and clients — it matters that people trust and depend on you
- Push yourself to do things that make you uncomfortable — it makes you better and stronger (be a speaker, go on TV, call an unhappy client)
- Don’t be the smartest person in the room — or think you are
- Always take notes…even after 30 years I still take a note pad (or iPad) to any meeting or call
- Be driven to do great work for yourself first and then for the clients
- It’s more important to be respected than liked (my opinion…)
- Thank your family OFTEN for allowing you to do what you love to do
- Take care of yourself; your health is a gift
- You will know when it is time for your next journey — don’t be afraid
- Time flies, so be present
- Be kind
- Shit DOES happen that you can’t control — but you can be smart and find solutions to almost any situation
- You will have bad days — but the goal is to have many more good than bad
- Don’t be afraid to fail — I’m not very good at this — but I am still learning!
- Your gut really is a good indication of many things both good and bad
- You are responsible for you and all that responsibility entails
- Don’t look for blame look for solutions and then learn
- Push yourself
- Be proactive
- Always listen…well
- Learn something new EVERY day — read an article, do a Webinar, go to a seminar, talk to a co-worker, read a book
…I could go on and on — but these seemed to be top-of-mind.
The team here at Pathfinders is full of smart and talented people, ready to take on any challenge. I am lucky to work with such a great group of people and for such a wonderful organization. I look forward to the years to come!